Sunday, March 15, 2009

Computer Basics

I've been doing a lot of research recently so that I can give out all possible definition of the computer before I will start posting about troubleshooting guide. I've decided to just give out the basic definition of some common terms and terminologies of the computer. I will give out my own definition and back it up the definition that I found from the Internet.

Let’s start with the computer hardware and software definition.

Hardware – for me it is the physical part of the computer. Everything that you touch is the hardware part of the computer. Anything that you can see and touch are the hardware components.

Best examples for hardware would be Input Devices, Output Devices, Memory, Mass Storage Devices and the Central Processing Unit (CPU).

Input Devices are the keyboard and mouse.

Output Devices are Monitors and printers

Memory is where it store temporary data and programs before it can be store to the hard drive or any storage devices.

Mass Storage Devices This is where all permanent files are stored. Examples are hard drives, USB flash drives, disk drives and tape drives.

Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the heart of the computer and it is the one who decides on what program to run first.

Software – it’s the data stored in the computer. Everything that is running in the computer and reflects on the screen is the software part of the computer. Its the executable programs in the computer that can be stored.

According to http://www.webopedia.com/ software is often divided in two categories:

System Software: Includes the Operating System and all the utilities that enable the computer to function.

Examples of Operating Systems are Windows XP, Window VISTA, Windows 98, ME, NT, 95, MAC OS, LINUX, etc.

Examples of the utilities are the disk drivers, printers’ driver, and other devices.

Application Software: Includes programs that do real work for users.

Examples for Application Software’s are: Microsoft Office application, anti-virus software’s and a lot more.

So there you have it, all the basic things that you need to know on a computer. I hope the article will help you a lot and I hope you can give out some feedback, comments and suggestions on how I can improve this site. I might post about networking next time. Hope you like it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment